Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Reason to Go to Midtown, Manhattan?

I'm not a fan of midtown Manhattan. To the west, Times Square loaded with droves of tourists. To the east, Grand Central Station filled with more camera touting visitors, in addition to commuters hopping on the Metro North heading back to Westchester County and various stops in the first part of New England. If it isn't work related, I avoid Midtown. 

 In Gotham, with a myriad of food and drink options, it's the uniqueness of a bar or restaurant that (generally) lures New Yorkers to the establishment.

"Hey, let's get some of that Avenitus on 1st Ave and talk to the German owner that has the degree in economics."

"You know, I got a real hankering for some lemon wasabi, let's go to that Japanese place....."

"We haven't been to the Upper East Side in a longtime, let's go and talk about the crime ridden NYC of the 1980's with that Bronx native that drinks Guinness at......."

For me, Midtown is bereft of special food and drink.  In steps The Perfect Pint II. 

Situated at 203 E. 45th Street (The original Perfect Pint is located on the West Side in the Theater District), The Perfect Pint II is firmly nested in my no-go zone. But with time to spare before meeting someone, I stepped into The Pint II for a drink. 



The bar has a wide selection of drafts such as: Heinken, Guinness, Brooklyn, Sam Adams, Stella, Magners ( a little more difficult to find on draft).  Simply put, all of the normal beers found in NYC bars. 

My initial thought was: go with the Stella in the sleek chalice. However, I then see it: the elusive Chimay on draft!



I had been looking for Chimay on tap in The Big Apple for a few months. I had been searching for this mystical drink as if I were Indiana Jones. Then finally, I inadvertently find it. 

The verdict: potent, fresh, and pricey; but totally worth it. The Perfect Pint II has given me a reason to slightly curb my loathing of Midtown Manhattan. 


No comments:

Post a Comment